AiSLC Animation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you an Animation Snob?

2 posters

Go down

Are you an Animation Snob? Empty Are you an Animation Snob?

Post by jonbaldi Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:56 pm

A long time ago, I saw this cartoon by Harry Partridge mocking this animation program called GoAnimate!. a program that makes it really easy for people to make animations, from quick graphic animations to full on stories. I didn't think much about it at the time, until I actually took a look at it, and it sucks majorly.
It kind of looked like taking family guy'esc clip art or some goofy chibi sprite and to use their pre-assigned animated movments, and one of those electric voice pulled from Steven Hawkin. It's an aweful mess, most of the animations are really stiff looking and sound really bad. And I can not get past poor choice of movement to run along the dialog in the animation promotions they have on their front page. I really don't like cartoons that have really stiff and super quick animation at all.

To the programs credit, it does allow people to jump right in and make an animation, hardly any lessons learned. But this program simple will not ever be taken seriously or professionally. BUT..
and it's a big butt.
There have been animations that look just like this.
Case in point, "Total Drama Island"
Now I can't stand this show, I don't like the animation, the premise or characters. (I know it's a kids show, I'm making a point)
This style of animation is just to primitive for a lack of a better word. I mean Felix the cat had better animation than that show. it's use of cheap animation has always been a turn off.
And Hanna-Barbera was nitorious for doing this. Probably why he was able to push like a million cartoons out and practically have their own network dedicated to them.
Even Chuck Jones, one of the animators of Looney Tunes didn't like their work.

But, even cartoon like those from Hanna-Barbera made some really memerable stuff. And many contemporary artists have made good use of it limited style animation as well, like "Adventure Time" "Family Guy" and "My Little Ponies", Even some that I love like "Clone High" and "Mission Hill". They worked great, and was very simple in it's style.

But who is to say it has to limited to this, I remember a while ago that I got upset when almost every new animation coming out was 3D. Just beacause it's a cartoon doesn't mean it has to be 3D okay. Which reminds me about those 3D rip offs that you see on Netflix and how the animator thinks that's okay to do. but that is for a different time.

So, I guess is do you see your self as an animation snob? Not willing to put up with a cartoon just because of the style, motion, characters, ect?
jonbaldi
jonbaldi
AquaMan

http://jonbaldi.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Are you an Animation Snob? Empty Re: Are you an Animation Snob?

Post by ccchesley Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:14 pm

I'm totally an animation snob. lol i recently found a program (don't even remember the name) but it pretty much lets you draw a 2D character and rig it like you would in Maya.... the animation they used in the trailer to show how easy the program is looked awful!! I see a lot of potential in a program like that but the problem is that simplicity often leads to this idea that anyone can do it. Education in animation is ALWAYS necessary... whether it's a formal education, or if you learn in a less traditional way (online courses, apprenticeship, etc.) .

The truth is that simplicity is so appealing when put into the right hands. Great examples as you listed above are My Little Pony FiM, a series that is created using Adobe Illustrator and Flash, yet it looks so well done! Adventure time combines simple character design with some of the most basic animation rules and it works so beautifully.
I also couldn't stand TDI, not because of the animation, but because the characters were weak and the premise behind the story was too cheesy. They tried too hard to give the characters depth and in the end everything turned into a fart joke..... just weak.

I don't think being picky about what animation you enjoy is a bad thing.... it's bad to blindly judge a series just because of the art style....
ccchesley
ccchesley
Killin It!

http://ccchesley.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jonbaldi Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:57 pm

yeah, that is true never to judge an animation by it's style, other wise the awesome and cute story of Moon Bird would have been a pass. And even Chuck Jones was a little harsh in his words, even after he made his great animation The Dot and the Line

jonbaldi
jonbaldi
AquaMan

http://jonbaldi.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down