AiSLC Animation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Isle of Avalon

5 posters

Go down

The Isle of Avalon Empty The Isle of Avalon

Post by NissasPumpkin Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:53 am

This is for background and layout, and for my own pleasure. The story here is that this is the Isle of Avalon, the part closest to us and out through the fog is the rest of the world.

The Isle of Avalon 1110

There are a few swans I need to add, a tree, and the Lady of the Lake, but I'd like feedback on it so far.
NissasPumpkin
NissasPumpkin
AquaMan

Back to top Go down

The Isle of Avalon Empty Re: The Isle of Avalon

Post by jonbaldi Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:39 am

your color is coming pretty good so far, and the birds in the air add to the balance of the painting. The fog thus far works as a base, but you must drag it down so that it travels across the foreground, just so we know the grandeur of the mood. I kind of feel the dock needs to point in the other direction, because it does lead my eye to walk off the painting, plus it may work as a focal point for the lady of the lake. (or put the dock on the further to the left), and maybe a log some where, you can never go wrong with a log someplace.
jonbaldi
jonbaldi
AquaMan

http://jonbaldi.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ccchesley Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:14 pm

my eyes are drawn to the shore-line between the grass and the lake. because you made it so soft it looks like the shore is slowly sinking into the lake, which is great except that means the dock makes no sense. you can have it be both, but use sharper edges when it's supposed to be a cliff-like edge and soft edges where it's supposed to be sinking.
ccchesley
ccchesley
Killin It!

http://ccchesley.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ccchesley Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:27 pm

The Isle of Avalon Reeds_10

this is also kinda a small note but from one painter to another I can't help but point it out. Your reeds look really artificial. They're all kinda parallel to each other. It looks more natural when they cross over with each other, even if they're stiff. Also remember the rules of 3, if you make large bundles of 3 different size reeds it looks very appealing, then you can have little ones in groups of 1-2.
ccchesley
ccchesley
Killin It!

Back to top Go down

Post by chickmagnet Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:35 pm

I agree with ccchesley. I also think that both ends of the dock look the same length. The end farthest out should appear shorter. I would do a draw over but a crook stole my tablet.
chickmagnet
chickmagnet
Keep'n it reel

Back to top Go down

Post by NissasPumpkin Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Took notes and changed a few things. I really hope you guys click on the full image since the whole thing doesn't show up in the post. Turned the fog layers off too so things can be seen better.

The Isle of Avalon 1410
NissasPumpkin
NissasPumpkin
AquaMan

Back to top Go down

Post by ccchesley Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:29 pm

this is coming along a lot nicer. =)
ccchesley
ccchesley
Killin It!

Back to top Go down

Post by NissasPumpkin Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:48 pm

I need an opinion of something guys, I'm currently on the tree and wondered if you think I should add some more detailed flowers on it? It's an apple tree in bloom and I'm torn on if I should or not.
NissasPumpkin
NissasPumpkin
AquaMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane_Alagas Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:51 pm

I think its coming out great...something I is bugging me is the tree feels like its going to fall over. maybe you should but some roots sticking out of the ground. that might help it feel like it is stable in the ground
Bane_Alagas
Bane_Alagas
Side Kick

Back to top Go down

Post by NissasPumpkin Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:59 pm

the tree feels like its going to fall over

o.O Why? Because I only show part of it? Or is it the branches?

Last edited by NissasPumpkin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
NissasPumpkin
NissasPumpkin
AquaMan

Back to top Go down

Post by chickmagnet Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:01 am

oh wowzers, This is looking a lot better.
chickmagnet
chickmagnet
Keep'n it reel

Back to top Go down

Post by chickmagnet Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:41 am

Making the water underneath the dock darker than the rest will show that light isn't reaching it. Also, I assume the sun has fully set or hasn't fully come out yet since it doesn't reflect off the water. I assume the tree would have a shadow even if its hardly noticeable. Also, kind of on that same note. Even with the sun having gone down/or not come up, the sky still has oranges in it, and those oranges would definitely be showing up in the water.

I always feel like a big stink brain when I critique people. I do like what you have already.

Another note. You need to establish weather this is a sunrise or sunset. That way I could give you the right notes. The white to orange gradient you have going should not be a horizontal gradient. it should be a circular gradient coming directly from the source of the sun.

The way you have the sky, I would assume you are going for a sunrise because of the soft colors.
SUNRISE vs SUNSETS
Sunrises are more neutral and softer tones and sunsets are a lot bolder with more vibrant colors. This is explained with the "Mie Theory" or the "Mie Solution" which is very complicated and very boring to read about. I just did it for about 25 minutes. Basically what I got out of it though is that that particles in the atmosphere change throughout the day. At the end of the day these particles are all over in the atmosphere which causes the light to change. Then the sun goes away and a great amount of these particles fall back to earth. When the sun comes back up in the morning, these particles haven't had a chance to make it all the way back up into the atmosphere and so the colors show much differently then they had just hours before when the sun went down.
chickmagnet
chickmagnet
Keep'n it reel

Back to top Go down

Post by chickmagnet Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:44 am

I know I should finish my explanation, but I was typing way more than necessary. The particles scatter the light. more particles = more scattered light. simple right? lol

...I need to get a life.
chickmagnet
chickmagnet
Keep'n it reel

Back to top Go down

Post by NissasPumpkin Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:39 am

You're not a stink brain for pointing things out that my piece here needs. That's the point of me putting it up, for help making it awesome. Smile
NissasPumpkin
NissasPumpkin
AquaMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum